Just moved to Alaska in September 2018

Come on in and introduce yourself. We would love to hear who you are, where you live and especially your adventures.

Moderator: chickenminer

ProspectingAK
Prospector

Re: Just moved to Alaska in September 2018

Post by ProspectingAK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Joe,
Thanks for the reply. I agree the thrill of the chase and the adventure of it all is whats appealing to me. The gold is just the reward. I love the fresh air, the sound of quiet with no cars or sirens. After having just arrived 2 weeks before the snow flew and barely just enough time to cut some firewood and get it put away, I haven't been able to get out and explore. I have been to Alaska 2 times prior to our move here. In 1999 I flew to Juneau from Bradford, PA " home of Zippo Lighters and Case knives " and spent the summer working on a gilnetter boat out of Juneau. Spent the summer out on the water catching fish and admiring the beauty of Alaska. The 2nd time I visited Alaska was in June of 2014 flew into Yakutat and then took a bush plane to Icy Bay, AK on a trip that was aimed to scope out Alaska Mental Health Property open to possible mining claims. The trip was more of a bust as the guy I went with turned out to be a jerk and luckily I brought home a 35 lb box of halibut. We stayed at Icy Bay Lodge a fishing camp the only civilization in or near Icy Bay.

I'd love to hear about the 10 ounces you found in 3 weeks...!! Maybe you could write about the experience and the situation surrounding the find. Was it a vein, a big nugget, a nice pay steak of small flakes? Why were you hanging it off the side of a mountain. Look forward to hearing more.
Cory