DIGHEM Interp...

We hope to have many different topics in this forum. Nugget shooting, coin detecting, beach detecting. Pictures help a lot.

Moderator: chickenminer

Geowizard
Mega Miner

Re: DIGHEM Interp...

Post by Geowizard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pm

DIGHEM fever;

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 pm

I was slow to come around to Chuck's way of thinking when considering the DGGS surveys. I guess that old habits die hard, huh? But once I embraced the idea that this is just another tool in the miner's tool chest, things got a lot easier. He was patient and kept nudging me along in the right direction. His instruction was valuable, but most of what you will get out of the survey information will come with the experience of boots on the ground evaluation. The survey will tell you that there is a metallic signature at such and such coordinate location, maybe something about the depth, and even possibly the likely identity of the minerals. You absolutely must do some field sampling to convince yourself of the validity of your data.

So, how do you go about interpreting what the survey tells you? There is so much information in there as to be absolutely overwhelming. Did you know that the instruments are VERY good at detecting ferrous deposits? The survey even does so far as to mark them as likely magnetite. As an old experienced river dredger, I know that if I get into a thick layer of black sand, rich in hematite and magnetite, I stand a very good chance of finding GOLD. And the strength of the magnetite signal often masks the presence of gold.

Once you get past the point of looking at someone else's interpretation of the data, you might consider that the information can show you fault locations. High angle thrust faults often serve as mineral traps and show as mineral concentration at depth. Where they crop out at the surface gives an excellent sampling point. Just be aware that they tend to fill with ferrous materials or sometimes conductive clays, depending upon the geology of the area. Take a sample and perform an analysis before you dismiss them completely.

By the way, how do you perform an analysis? I take and catalog samples all summer long. I take digital photos and location coordinates as well so that I can finally come to some kind of understanding and can find my way back, if necessary. I perform my own atomic absorption analysis of acid digested samples all winter long. My results show some 30+ different metals' concentrations. Gold is not the only metal out there that has value!
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:34 am

You can do this;

Glen has been actively learning how DIGHEM applies to his prospecting.

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:34 pm

A wealth of information;

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Project Reports;

- Geowizard
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:22 pm

Update on recent discoveries;

- Geowizard
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:13 pm

thanks for the update Chuck, I figured you were out prospecting since you have been mostly absent.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:22 pm

I was revisiting this thread again this morning and just had to say that this was one of the most interesting, as well as educational threads I have ever read. Perhaps it was so interesting to me because it dealt so much with ground I have actually walked over in years gone by. At that time and until this thread was dealt with, I had no idea of what I was walking over, or the extent of it.

It has really made me wish I was still in Alaska because I am intimately familiar with the actual ground in question as well as how to access such a remote creek.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, especially Chuck and Glen.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Jim,

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:16 am

unfortunately I have no idea how many people from that neck of the woods are still on the forum. I know there are a couple, but they mostly travel to Alaska. Your information could be invaluable to any who live there and have access.

The Salcha is a bit difficult to access, but not for those who live there and are familiar with how to access places like this. If I still lived there I could access it in an hour by plane in winter, or three to four hours by snow machine. Summer would only be accessible by a very tough jet boat or an airboat. It would only be a three hour run from the Richardson Hwy. in Salcha to the areas you outlined.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com