Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

We hope to have many different topics in this forum. Nugget shooting, coin detecting, beach detecting. Pictures help a lot.

Moderator: chickenminer

Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Re: Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

Post by Micropedes1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:51 pm

I tried to make the run upriver in my jet powered metal boat and didn't quite make it; too much timber in the river. Thought seriously about using the hovercraft but it would not carry enough load to be worthwhile. But it would negotiate the gravel bars enough that I could walk on in. The hike from the resort was down an adjacent creek (if I remember correctly) all the way to the river and then back up to Ottertail headwaters. I remember that climb back out as being a verrrry long day. Doubt that I could make that climb these days.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Micropedes1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:51 pm
I tried to make the run upriver in my jet powered metal boat and didn't quite make it; too much timber in the river. Thought seriously about using the hovercraft but it would not carry enough load to be worthwhile. But it would negotiate the gravel bars enough that I could walk on in. The hike from the resort was down an adjacent creek (if I remember correctly) all the way to the river and then back up to Ottertail headwaters. I remember that climb back out as being a verrrry long day. Doubt that I could make that climb these days.
I never would have tried that hike even in my better days. I guess you didn't know about the cat trail that follows some distance off of the river, to the south of it. That would have been easy for the hovercraft.

The cat trail is accessed and starts out of a gravel pit about two miles downriver from Munson Creek, where there is a decent place to cross the river. I used to go in that way in winter with a snowmobile to trap. That cat trail goes all the way up to the headwaters.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:58 pm

That is the problem with new territory; I don't know the country well enough to strike off cross-country. I have stumped all over the 40 Mile district and the only problem I ever had was the abundance of grizzlies in Franklin creek. The bad thing about it was there was a lot of gold on the benches in there too. But could not metal detect, carry a rifle, and scan for bears all three at the same time. Never quite felt safe in there.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm

With all due respect;

Is this getting "off topic"? :)

- Geowizard
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 pm

Geowizard wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:12 pm
With all due respect;

Is this getting "off topic"? :)

- Geowizard
Yes it is, my apologies. I should have PM'ed Glen on this.

Back on topic now.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:27 pm

Are we back on-topic now?

Maybe we should discuss the criteria that would make an observed anomaly worthy of a boots-on-the-ground inspection and sampling.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:20 am

Micropedes1 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:27 pm
Are we back on-topic now?

Maybe we should discuss the criteria that would make an observed anomaly worthy of a boots-on-the-ground inspection and sampling.
Good idea Chuck, many prospectors (me) have no clue.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Here's a link;

I made a new thread on the data a few days ago. :)

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:30 pm

Kudos to those that make these surveys possible;

All of us owe a debt of gratitude for funding these surveys. The State Government is ran by otherwise ordinary people that were involved in the process of funding, organizing the contracts and providing the scientific leadership that made all of this possible. Kudos for a job well done!

A further debt of gratitude is owed to the management and staff for the dedication and commitment to excellence in providing the instrumentation, technical support, intellectual presence and interpretation that has given us a better view of the earth below. Kudos to ALL who have participated in this work!

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Showing appreciation;

Prospectors can show their appreciation by learning the skills needed to apply this valuable information...

The work that has been done ONLY has value if it results in NEW DISCOVERIES of mineral deposits! Discovery of NEW mineral deposits contained in the earth requires Geophysical prospectors. These prospectors are a NEW breed of prospectors that appreciate the value of having technology that can see into places that have never been seen before. The new knowledge and understanding must be applied. Having knowledge of where to begin prospecting and where to focus effort reduces the time and effort to be successful. Prospecting a target that has the support of geophysical data increases the probabiity that we are on the GOLD. :)

- Geowizard