Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

We hope to have many different topics in this forum. Nugget shooting, coin detecting, beach detecting. Pictures help a lot.

Moderator: chickenminer

Geowizard
Mega Miner

Re: Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

Post by Geowizard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Glen,

While you are waiting, you might check out the project report.

The list shows Anomalies. :)

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Must be stuck on stupid this morning. I can find the place I was working on Google Earth, but can't figure out how to post it as a picture. Below are the coordinates for the picture on G.E.

6 W 553989.39 m E 7203496.86 m N

I just belatedly figured out how to display the Google Earth Image, so here it is:
ottertail.jpg
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Jim,

Here's a link to a topo map of the location you gave: (the yellow dot is the location)

Is that correct?

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:17 am

Geowizard wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:58 pm
Jim,

Here's a link to a topo map of the location you gave: (the yellow dot is the location)

http://www.alaska-gold.com/foley.pdf

Is that correct?

- Geowizard
Yes Chuck, that's it exactly.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:28 am

Ottertail creek is the correct location. But I thought that the lode was near the headwaters.

I have been running thru those anomalies all afternoon and trying to find them on the flight line map. Those maps are a bit difficult to read, but they surely do contain a lot of information (if I count the dots correctly). The maps on the newer surveys are a bit easier to read and are color coded. I am curious why they did not include CPI and CPQ for the 56K channels.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 am

Micropedes1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:28 am
Ottertail creek is the correct location. But I thought that the lode was near the headwaters.

I have been running thru those anomalies all afternoon and trying to find them on the flight line map. Those maps are a bit difficult to read, but they surely do contain a lot of information (if I count the dots correctly). The maps on the newer surveys are a bit easier to read and are color coded. I am curious why they did not include CPI and CPQ for the 56K channels.
I'm confused Glen, but it doesn't take much. I never knew about any lode sites, either on the maps of on the ground in this location. As I said before there are old and new mines in the headwaters, but they are all placer as far as I know.

On the topo that Chuck posted, it shows claims all the way up Ottertail. That must be the result of that geologist I wrote about that found where I was working and claimed it.

I was actually working in the Chena at Ottertail, while he was actually working Ottertail itself.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:31 am

Micropedes1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:28 am
creek is the correct location. But I thought that the lode was near the headwaters.

I have been running thru those anomalies all afternoon and trying to find them on the map. Those maps are a bit difficult to read, but they surely do contain a lot of information (if I count the dots correctly). The maps on the newer surveys are a bit easier to read and are color coded. I am curious why they did not include the channels.
Glen,

The anomalies are on the list and depicted alphabetically on each line.

Herein lies the part that makes my head hurt... I often pick different anomalies than the computer. :?

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:17 am

Jim, I remember where you were dredging. Also, you recommended another airboat owner to help me get equipment to the mouth of the creek. But it was a 3/4 mile up that creek to the point where the stream went subsurface. And an even farther hike down another nearby creek from the resort to the river and then back up Ottertail. I remember deciding that all the work getting equipment in plus the high percentage lease made it unprofitable.

There was a small braided exposure with a bit of gold showing in the bluff rock face of the upper creek, but it looked like it was recent avalanche showing. Scant vegetation covering. I was not to be allowed to work in that vicinity, but back down where the water went subsurface. The situation did not sit well with me (for a number of reasons).
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:43 am

I have been using CPX and CPI along with Difi and Difq (and magnetic response) to help judge the extent of mineralized deposits (and possible mineral identity). Looking at the list of anomalies in Appendix C leaves me kind of at a loss because I am dependent entirely upon someone else's interpretation. And without the raw data to fall back on (yet), I am unable to determine if their analysis was comparing the 56K channels to the 7200 channel or the 7200 channel to the 900 channel. I suspect that it is the latter, but no way to tell yet. The 900 channel info is missing also. Only 7200 resistivity info is shown. There is a lot about this survey that I find missing.

Did anyone notice that nearly all the anomalies were located in bedrock with very few intrusive dikes? Lots of magnetite
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Micropedes1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:17 am
Jim, I remember where you were dredging. Also, you recommended another airboat owner to help me get equipment to the mouth of the creek. But it was a 3/4 mile up that creek to the point where the stream went subsurface. And an even farther hike down another nearby creek from the resort to the river and then back up Ottertail. I remember deciding that all the work getting equipment in plus the high percentage lease made it unprofitable.

There was a small braided exposure with a bit of gold showing in the bluff rock face of the upper creek, but it looked like it was recent avalanche showing. Scant vegetation covering. I was not to be allowed to work in that vicinity, but back down where the water went subsurface. The situation did not sit well with me (for a number of reasons).
Glen,

I never would have remembered the incident you wrote about, even now the recollection of it is real sketchy. I didn't even remember that it was you that I talked about it with. About the only parts I have any recollection of are the parts where I recommended another airboat owner.

I am not sure I ever heard the results that you wrote here. My old mind is having a hard time visualizing the part where you go from the resort to the river. Was the river still blocked by trees when you did this? The last I knew about the river conditions it was blocked by break-up trees one spring when I was there.

When I worked that place it was an airboat ride all the way, starting out at the bridge on Chena Hot Springs road at the North Fork, then a short run into the South fork, then another short run into the main Chena.

How was the claim owner accessing the claims? Last I knew he did it by airboat.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com