Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

We hope to have many different topics in this forum. Nugget shooting, coin detecting, beach detecting. Pictures help a lot.

Moderator: chickenminer

Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Re: Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 am

Geowizard wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:51 am
Jim,

What area do YOU want to prospect? :)

- Geowizard
I am afraid my Alaska days are over with Chuck. I am pretty much focused on Where I live on the Klamath River in California. Even then I will need to find a young guy or guys to help. My physical disabilities don't just limit me, they pretty much make doing anything serious an impossibility.

We just need to be able to get back to mining here in California again and that may be possible this coming season. I have some good prospects here that I want to work with a dredge once I can do it legally.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Jim,

I'm in a similar situation - I'm FROZE out... On top of that there are places that I/we cannot get to from here! But, it's interesting to look and speculate!

There is absolute "evidence" of mineral deposits that can be viewed from the comfort of your home. You can go prospecting in millions of places without leaving the house!

All you need is a computer and a functioning index finger to click a mouse.

The process involves having the ability to use prospector intuition to pick out the peaks that could be of importance. Prospecting with a computer!

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Oh well, guess that last post is a result of being a dinosaur. I thought you meant boots on the ground prospecting, of which I am very limited.

I'll try to pay closer attention int he future, should have known what you meant just from the thread subject.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Chuck, further back in this thread you asked about my source for the EM maps I got way back when.

Using one of your links to online data I think I found the place I described that I found accidentally by physically seeing the claim grid lines from a distant ridge.

This is the link I found using your link to the maps: http://dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/gpdata/26

This map section looks very much like the area I saw the claim grids on. This was probably back in the late 1980's

The Salcha River is the next river to the south of the Chena River, where I trapped and prospected. There is a pretty high ridge between the two, and I saw the claim lines from that ridge.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Jim,

Okay... There is a survey also. We can prospect. You can point out the area you were prospecting back then too and see if there's any hot spots around there!

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Index map:

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Project Report;

Here's a link to the Report:

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:13 am

Geowizard wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 pm
Jim,

Okay... There is a survey that covers Salcha also. We can prospect Salcha. You can point out the area you were prospecting back then too and see if there's any hot spots around there!

- Geowizard
I think I will have to go to a topo map to see the area I was prospecting. The map you posed is not detailed enough for me to see where I was. It seems it might be just north to northeast of the area the EM survey was done. Maybe I'll have a look at where I was on Google Earth. I can identify it exactly from that.

What I do know is that there is gold in the upper reaches of the Chena River. There are mines up there from way back when, as well as mines currently active. But none that I am aware of that are lode mines, they are placer and all in very small creeks coming out of gulches that run into the Chena.

Be patient with me, I have a bunch of things on my plate right now, the least of which is moving my residence.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:21 am

Jim,

Okay... better take care of that first. No heavy lifting! :)

- Geowizard
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:12 am

I got all kinds of excited when I started seeing all those grade 7 anamolies situated on the flight line maps. Alas, the ".gdb" files for geosoft as well as the flight line profiles are only available via DVD order. But I called and have one in the mail right now.