Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

We hope to have many different topics in this forum. Nugget shooting, coin detecting, beach detecting. Pictures help a lot.

Moderator: chickenminer

Geowizard
Mega Miner

Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

Post by Geowizard » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Geowizard, What's an A-Star?

It's a Helicopter. In this case, a special helicopter that has a metal detector attached (suspended) below.

With Jim's permission - we can continue discussion under this Forum - or I might propose a separate Forum on the subject of Geophysical Metal Detecting. :?

- Geowizard
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Re: Metal Detecting in an A-Star?

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 pm

It's fine here Chuck. Metal detecting in all forms is, after all, ground penetrating radar.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 am

Thanks Jim!

I have spent THOUSANDS of hours metal detecting all over Alaska while in Arizona!

I have made HUNDREDS of discoveries that probably include some amazing GOLD deposits...

Ask me how! :)

- Geowizard
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:32 pm

I already know how, but you asked so.......

How? :lol:
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Leonard
Iron Miner

Post by Leonard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Glad to see you posting again Chuck. It's been a little dead here.
Leonard
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks Guys!

Jim,

I view THIS as THE single most important technological development for prospecting in our lifetime!

Every prospector's DREAM come true!

In the dream...

We climb into a Helicopter. Somebody else paid for the Helicopter. Somebody else filled 'er up with fuel. Somebody else is paying the pilot. Somebody else has organized and paid the cost of mobilization. Somebody else organized the survey of over 8000 line miles of Alaska Tundra. Someone else paid for the room full of Geo-scientists that planned the survey.

The Metal Detector;

The metal detector has NO equal. It was designed by a company that knows the technology, has paid electronic design engineers. Has paid the mechanical design engineers and paid for the cost of components and the cost of fabrication, has done the testing and calibration.

The metal detector has FIVE different electromagnetic sensor systems that operate according the known principles of the very BEST off the shelf metal detectors on the market today. One sensor operates at a low frequency for DEEP penetration into the earth. A second sensor operates for INTERMEDIATE Depth. A third sensor operates to provide SHALLOW depth measurements. Two other sensors are employed to capture data from other intermediate depths with different orientations. ALL of the detector/sensor systems operate simultaneously while the Helicopter is in flight. The system is CALIBRATED to known standards and is ZERO'ed in air at sufficient height above the ground before and after every flight. The sensor Instrumentation includes a sensitive MAGNETOMETER. A second REFERENCE magnetometer is positioned on a point on the ground within or close to the survey area to continually measure the DIURNAL variation of the earth's magnetic field. This is done to CORRECT the readings made in flight.

The system uses a RADAR ALTIMETER to correct for the amount of "AIR" between the sensor system and the signal response from the EARTH below. A precision DIFFERENTIAL GPS is included to provide accurate LOCATION of every measurement in real time. To do this a GPS REFERENCE receiver is positioned on the ground also within or in close proximity to the survey area at a precisely surveyed location. The reference GPS receiver records variation in the GPS location "solution" so that on-board GPS location data can be corrected for the best possible accuracy.

High precision DATA from ALL of the sensor systems are acquired and stored in a high speed Digital Signal Processor (DSP) computer acquisition system at TEN SAMPLES PER SECOND. When moving at 90 miles per hour, the speed over the ground is 120 feet per second. Data is collected at approximately every 12 FEET.

Wait... There's more! :)

Stay tuned...

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Here it is:

https://www.cgg.com

Ed. note:

I am not buying or selling this product or service. I am not an employee of the company. This does not imply an endorsement of the product or service. ALL rights, trademarks, are considered the sole right and property of CGG.

Whew... :)

- Geowizard
Last edited by Geowizard on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:32 am

You folks need to heed what he is saying, especially about Alaska EM surveys. At the very least, it will allow you to eliminate a LOT of legwork over unproductive ground. Mastery of EM analysis materials will most likely place you in very close proximity to some very interesting conductive deposits. Read the survey; then go check what you suspect you have found

Geowizard took the time to instruct me in some of this survey analysis technique. Not a night goes by now that I am not correlating EM information and comparing it to chemical sample analysis from prospecting trips. Thus far, I have found several lead/zinc deposits, a PGE-chalcopyrite outcrop with visible gold particles, and an outstanding uranium deposit. The technology works. Only thing is that it is not all gold. Only boots-on-the-ground will tell you what the survey indicates. Still lots of work...just not as much ground to cover.
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 am

Glen,

Thanks for the report.

You have been busy! :)

Geowizard
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:50 am

Drag and drop KMZ files (from most of the surveys) into Google Earth to give you a better visual. That part is easy.

In-depth analysis requires Oasis Montaj from Geosoft. Be sure to save the original file and the modified files with separate descriptive names, just in case your manipulation of data crashes and you must start over. Learned that one the hard way.