Prospecting Western Yukon Flats!

We hope to have many different topics in this forum. Nugget shooting, coin detecting, beach detecting. Pictures help a lot.

Moderator: chickenminer

Geowizard
Mega Miner

Prospecting Western Yukon Flats!

Post by Geowizard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

The Survey Data has just been released. :o

http://dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/id/29683

This area is near where the Elliot Highway crosses the Yukon River.

- Geowizard
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Re: Prospecting Western Yukon Flats!

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Wish I could see the area, I am very familiar with that area. But something is messing up with my computer today, can download the files but can't open them. :(
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Jim,

I'm having the same problem.

DGGS has had problems like this before.

- Geowizard
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Geowizard wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:30 pm
Jim,

I'm having the same problem.

DGGS has had problems like this before.

- Geowizard
Good to hear Chuck, I thought sure it was my computer.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm

My familiarity with this area is due to having trapped that country for all the time I was in Alaska. The road makes access possible in that generally the ridge tops run at right angles to the road. In many place in Interior Alaska the only places you can run a road or trail is on the ridges because the small valleys are just too wet.

I hand cut four trails down ridges in that area. Often wondered what prospecting would produce up there. Halfway between Livengood and the Yukon is a pretty good size creek I trapped on.

Unfortunately I never got to try a dredge on it, but it may be interesting to try it. It is called Hess Creek and has it's headwaters just over a main ridge from Livengood, which has seen extensive mining on the old days as well as fairly recent times. It empties into the Yukon and covers a lot of terrain to do it.

Here is a link to a topo: https://www.topozone.com/alaska/yukon-k ... ess-creek/
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:06 pm

Discouraging news;

There was not much coverage in this survey. The survey appears to have been an afterthought or add-on and as with many NSF funded projects - I am speculating the funding ran out. Funding of "science projects" as this apparently was, are subject to "scholarly" influence where certain decision makers scatter "foundation" money at whim. :o

- Geowizard
Lanny
Gold Miner

Post by Lanny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:17 am

Jim_Alaska wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm
My familiarity with this area is due to having trapped that country for all the time I was in Alaska. The road makes access possible in that generally the ridge tops run at right angles to the road. In many place in Interior Alaska the only places you can run a road or trail is on the ridges because the small valleys are just too wet.

I hand cut four trails down ridges in that area. Often wondered what prospecting would produce up there. Halfway between Livengood and the Yukon is a pretty good size creek I trapped on.

Unfortunately I never got to try a dredge on it, but it may be interesting to try it. It is called Hess Creek and has it's headwaters just over a main ridge from Livengood, which has seen extensive mining on the old days as well as fairly recent times. It empties into the Yukon and covers a lot of terrain to do it.

Here is a link to a topo: https://www.topozone.com/alaska/yukon-k ... ess-creek/
Jim, you must have some stories to tell about all of those years trapping! Sounds like a lot of work, but sounds like a serious adventure, especially cutting those trails dealing with the challenges of running a trapline. (Do you have any of those stories posted anywhere?)

All the best,

Lanny
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:56 am

Yes Lanny, those were good years. Caught a lot of fur and even had a few adventures. I don't have them written anywhere. I do have a website that has some trapping stuff on it. It has not been updated since I was in Alaska, which was a long time ago. It is here if you are interested: http://marciesalaskaweb.x10host.com/webdesign/
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

lindercroft@gmail.com