The necessity of Nugget Traps?

This forum is for gold prospecting and mining anywhere. We have members world-wide

Moderator: chickenminer

Slatco
Copper Miner

The necessity of Nugget Traps?

Post by Slatco » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:42 pm

Been pondering this question this winter. Are nugget traps really required? I don't use them however I am not in a nugget gold area so I can't say for sure that I need one (maybe I would get nuggets if I had one lol). In my experience it seems like the 1.5" angle iron sluice section catches anything that would be equivalent to a nugget - for example I catch ball bearings, broken bolts, bullets, tools, grease zerks, bucket tooth fragments, combination wrenches etc etc. I am wondering what a properly designed nugget trap would do to catch nuggets that wouldn't otherwise be caught like these random pieces of steel in my top riffles?

Anyone out there use them and have real world feedback on why they are a requirement?
chickenminer
Site Admin

Re: The necessity of Nugget Traps?

Post by chickenminer » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:25 pm

Wouldn't it be dandy if the "If you build it, they will come" philosophy worked :)
If you are not in an area that has nuggets I don't think I would fret on trying to build a specific "nugget trap".
Although it is always a good idea to mix up riffle designs in a box and not to strictly use hungarian or expanded.
Studies have shown expanded metal is not the best gold catchment for +14 mesh size particles.
I use at least one section of 1" hungarian riffles in my box even though I am on a fine gold creek.
In the past when I was mining on a different creek that did have some coarser gold I used more hungarian than expanded. Never had a specific "nugget trap" but the 1" hungarian riffles caught stuff up to 1.75 oz .
Years ago I did mess with hydraulic riffles but I just had way to much trouble trying to keep the water clean enough for them.
Once again I am toying with the idea of using just one set of hungarian hydraulic riffles in my box as a more or less "nugget trap", or at least coarser gold trap.
DanAK

Post by DanAK » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:50 pm

I would think your 1-1/2” riffles will catch any nuggets that you would encounter.
gabbie
Prospector

Post by gabbie » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:48 pm

Our riffles are Hungarian style one inch in a 24 wide box 10 feet long the first 3 feet are riffles the rest is expanded two different sizes 90 percent of our gold is in the riffles with nuggets up to 1.75 oz we don't Hardley get much for fines in the expanded we dont have a nugget trap either we dont feel that we are losing any bigger gold
Thanks doug