APMA for Suction Dredging

This forum is for gold prospecting and mining anywhere. We have members world-wide

Moderator: chickenminer

Leonard
Iron Miner

Re: APMA for Suction Dredging

Post by Leonard » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

I dredged in Colorado for years. Never had a problem with the BLM. They were always nothing but helpful. I currently have claims in Colorado and Wyoming. Wyoming was really great. They went way overboard to be helpful.
Leonard
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 am

Last time that I had an "inspection" on the river , they beached a rubber raft upriver and tried to tip-toe into camp like they were trying to catch us doing something illegal (which we were not). One had their weapon drawn and the other was definitely "on point" as if expecting trouble. Not friendly at all.
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 am

Leonard, I too have dredged Colorado and Wyoming. About the only problem I ever had with them (WY) was getting chased out of the national forest due to all the fires a season or two ago. I understand their safety issues. Smoke was getting pretty rough anyway.
chickenminer
Site Admin

Post by chickenminer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:16 am

Easy goer ...
Where are your claims located? I understand they are State claims but are they State river bottom claims?
If you have State river bottom claims in a Federal corridor then permitting can be a little more burdensome
like Glenn says.
easy goer
Iron Miner

Post by easy goer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 am

Most interactions with BLM have been pleasant. Still going through an environmental evaluation to allow me to camp on my claim in excess of 14 days. I spent a month up there and saw tents and campers in the same place the entire time I was there. It is apparently easier to ask forgiveness than permission. A fellow member of a prospecting group was harassed for months after his claim was used by firefighters during a wildfire. Threatened with thousands in fines took hiring an attorney to straighten it out. Not painting them all with the same brush.
Micropedes1
Copper Miner

Post by Micropedes1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 am

Just a guess but sounds like he is down in the Chugach NF.
easy goer
Iron Miner

Post by easy goer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm

My BLM interactions were all in CO. I am going to be dredging inland North of Nome, Kougarok River.

Thanks

Easygoer
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm

The Kougarok River is T/A'd State of Alaska domain, so... no worries about BLM.

Past mining on Kougarok;

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/ardf/show-ardf. ... _num=BN035

The report says GOLD production started back in 1908. A bucket-line dredge was operated on the upper Kougarok River. Bucket-line dredges historically have been successful in dredging deep placers that would not be accessible by suction dredging. The report gives the depth of pay at 12 feet. After having cleaned up the GOLD in the upper Kougarok, the Dredge returned to the "lake(s)" area where it apparently still operates. Although most of the GOLD was probably recovered, GOLD is reported to occur along the length of the River.

Thirty six or so 40 acre claims on Kougarok (the ROK claims) were originally offered on Steve's website back in 2011. They were dropped in 2017, reclaimed as the KR claims in January 2018 and advertised on Claimtrader Sept-Nov. 2018. The upper claims were sold last month.

With State of Alaska mining claims in hand, and a past history of GOLD production, the future looks bright. :)

- Geowizard
Geowizard
Mega Miner

Post by Geowizard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 am

Remote prospecting;

To avoid corrupting this thread, I have deferred discussion to the related topic, "Remote prospecting?" thread. This prospect has exciting possibilities that need broader discussion. Permitting is only a small part of the process. The "plan" in this case has some interesting possibilities! :)

- Geowizard
chickenminer
Site Admin

Post by chickenminer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 am

Easygoer...
Very good. You should have no problem. Just talk to the DNR mining guys. They are helpful.
Lots of history up there.
Good luck !